Saturday, April 5, 2008



My latest project - the ballgown for the 1865 dance. I tried a different neckline this time, and I am very pleased with how it is looking. It took me ages to decide on a fabric, style, and embellishments. The fabric flowers are from a antique gown I purchased on ebay. The gown was well worn and originally homemade, so I didn't feel too bad ripping it apart. Everything on the ebay gown, including the flowers, are made from a very soft silk dupioni. I intend to use the actual gown fabric (a rich irridescent brown) for two wide panels that will come down the side of the ballgown.

I misplaced the pattern I was using, so I just went and started making it up from where I left off. The sleeves are my origianl design. They are made from a stiff dupioni that makes my mouth water. Each sleeve is made from about one yard of fabric that has been gathered, gathered, and gathered some more. I think they look like sleeves a princess would die for, don't you?

Back to sewing again!

No comments: