Sunday, May 4, 2008

A New Era






I have decided to try my hand at Regency fashion for a change. Of course with all the Jane Austen hype, this is required of my sewing skills. One cannot pass by an era that has been recreated over and over in various adaptations of her novels. There is not much one can do with an empire waist gown, but I have joined the ranks of ambitious artists nonetheless, and feel that my attempts are not unworthy of that most esteemed authoress.

I used some one dollar fabric with small red flowers and blue dots. The delicate pattern is very much like some of the gowns from the 1995 Pride and Prejudice. It is lined with a soft lightweight cotton (labelled "colonial cotton"). The white scalloped eyelet around the neckline is actually part of a separate undergarment made from the lining fabric as well. I used the same pattern to construct this, omitting the sleeves and bodice lining.

Pattern used: Sense and Sensibility - a regency gown pattern http://www.sensibility.com/

2 comments:

Kimberlee said...

What a fun project!! I would love to wear dresses like this one occasionally, if only to be reminded of Jane Austen's novels. It looks great!

CT said...

I love your love for dress-making. It is truly beautiful and you have a beautiful heart.