Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Secret of Gracefulness



I recently made a beautiful 1930's style skirt that I just love. I put it on and I feel as graceful and elegant as if I were Ginger Rogers herself. The way it swings to and fro when I walk. The way it twirls outwards when I spin. Its heaviness and drape make me feel so feminine.
But there is nothing very extraordinary about the skirt at all until it is on. By itself it is just some dark grey-blue plaid wool that hangs almost to the floor. Very conservative. Very old-fashioned. Very ordinary. But what womanly medicine it can be!

In this skirt one must move gracefully. No matter how clumsy you feel in your jeans, the abundance of fabric swaying around your legs will give the semblance of grace, and ultimately of beauty itself.

This is just one of the reasons why I adore the styles of the past. Instead of making the human body appear awkward and unshapely (as most modern clothes do) they accentuated the best parts, lent grace to an ungraceful form, and made what was beautiful ten times more beautiful. I might even conclude that they made us more human.

1 comment:

CT said...

Well said, Maria! I always love a twirly skirt and I whole-heartedly agree with the smooth flow of motion that just happens when wearing something so feminine. I also feel clumsy in my jeans. :D