Sunday, June 1, 2008

Withstanding The Test of Time

I have only been sewing for about a year now. It all began last June when I was housesitting for a friend in her beautiful home on north Wallace. It was during those hot summer days of reading in the sun with Edward and Ranger (her dogs) laying at my feet that I got the sudden inspiration to sew myself a dress....by hand, of course. The sewing machine was one of my worst fears. They were associated with tangled threads, obstinate bobbins, and utter frustration. Therefore, I set out to make a simple summer dress without their "help". It was exhilarating. But I had no idea it was the beginning of a great obsession.

About a month later my sister-in-law lent me her sewing machine. My creative juices were flowing too fast for my nimble fingers to keep up. I didn't like the idea of my neatness and perfection being compromised by sub-par machine sewing, but I gave it a whirl anyway. The sewing machine won.

That last gown I sewed was the result of one year's sewing experience. I would hardly call that withstanding the test of time. Give me five or ten more years. See if I keep up, or if this hobby falls into my long list of past hobbies. I haven't even made it passed the beginning yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hester, it doesn't matter if this hobby falls by the wayside. It won't. It's part of a foundation of connections and texture that you will use to look at the world in a way you may not have otherwise. Ten years from now, this knowledge may come in handy in a surprising way. You will find that the more you know about everything the more interesting life is and how it's really a big text[ile].Think of all the metaphors you'll be able to come up with! And if you get trapped in a Greek myth and have had your tongue removed you can sew a message to your sister/brother. Enough.