Sunday, July 13, 2008

Learning Along The Way

My dressmaking business is off to a very promising start. I am always surprised by how many emails I get from people who want things besides just a gown. They want the period undergarments or a jacket to match the outfit. It seems no other seamstresses on ebay have picked up on this wonderful opportunity. I just posted a spencer jacket, and as far as I can see, it's the only one! And my chemises are a very hot item - I've sold more of those than gowns!


People also email me wanting custom-made clothing, which is quite easy to do with Regency attire. Ebay does the advertising for me. All I have to do is keep something regularly posted. It's great! And I admit customer service is much easier to deal with online than in person.


I am excited to see where this will go in the future. It is certainly a lot of work managing every aspect on my own from purchasing materials, emailing customers, shipping the garments, and trying to stay aware of what the other ebayers are doing. But I love that I am using a gift God gave me to support myself. I hope that my success might encourage others to do the same.


No comments: