Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Correct Impression

I have a question. Where does one find historically accurate patterned linen for a regency gown? Some other obsessive costumiers have found that most of the gowns from this period were made of a very lightweight cotton or linen, but they don't happen to mention where this type of fabric can be purchased. I am assuming that they don't know either.
Having this fabric would allow me to create costumes that are truly period correct in all aspects. The look of lightweight linen is so different from a regular linen or cotton. And I know that linen would be wonderful to wear.
My goal (the ultimate one for my business) is to offer every day modern women the experience of wearing something that would have been worn a hundred or two hundred years ago for a fair price. This would set me apart, and maybe allow me to go on to other costume related careers, such as museum work, movies, plays, or authoring books. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see your costumes on tv? Or to have other costumers refine their own skills with your help? Finding the right fabric is just one example of how hard it is to accomplish this.
Perhaps I am boring my readers, but isn't a similar mindset important in all businesses? Shouldn't we always be seeking to become masters at what we do? Researching, reading, practicing, and being obsessively particular about quality. I know I am sounding like my managers at the T-shirt shop. And yes, when you are talking about T-shirts it is laughable. But costuming is an art; an art that is fading into the past. And I adore it.

No comments: