Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fitting Customers




This is a ball gown I made today from some fabric I have had for over a year (and part of a table cloth). I used the La Mode Bagatelle pattern for everything but the sleeves, which are from the Sense & Sensibility "Elegant Lady's Closet" pattern. Yesterday I made a bodiced petticoat from the La Mode pattern. For those who don't know, a bodiced petticoat is a lightly boned corset of the regency period with a skirt attached. I ran out of fabric for the skirt, but I will post pictures of it later when it is complete. The bodiced petticoat is extremely comfortable and really does create the proper empire waist silhouette. The La Mode pattern includes this and patterns for two gowns, a reticule, hat, and embroidery. I wanted to make a ball gown using one of the gown patterns, but I was so impressed with the bodiced petticoat that I decided to make a ball gown using the same pattern with a slightly higher neckline to conceal the undergarments. So the dress you see is actually a corset/stays pattern!




This gown looks wonderful when I put it on. It is quite low-cut, and reminds me somewhat of the green ball gown that Elinor (Emma Thompson) wears in Sense and Sensibility. I also decided to pleat the skirt all the way around, which I really like. One thing I would like to know is how this gown would fit on someone a little more...ahem, "well-endowed" than myself. It is very fitted and flattering on me in that respect, and I wonder if it might be a little too much for others. Any volunteers? I would like to make other versions of this gown to sell on ebay, but I am not very confident with how it might fit potential buyers. If anyone would like to volunteer themselves for a fitting experiment let me know! What I would do is make this gown in your size (with different fabric), and fit it to you. What you get: a lovely gown!




Patterns used: Sense & Sensibility "The Elegant Lady's Closet" http://www.sensibility.com/,
This is a very easy to use pattern for anyone. No previous sewing experience is needed according to all it's reviews. I agree.





La Mode Bagatelle Regency Pattern: http://www.ravenrook.com/bagatelle/



This pattern requires some sewing experience, and fitting knowledge.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Wickland said...

I think this is one of my favorite dresses so far, Maria! I'm amazed at how beautiful your work is, and how you can mix and match pieces of patterns to suit your taste! I just don't have the patience for such things and am in awe of those who do!

Maria Tusken said...

Well, I've seen some of your scrapbooking, and THAT amazes me!

I am having a lot of fun trying new patterns and fabrics. With dressmaking the possibilities are endless...