Saturday, July 19, 2008

Things A Seamstress Can't Live Without



Every seamstress must have a few sewing tools she can't live without. Things she uses so much that they have almost become part of her. Things she automatically reaches for every five seconds. Things she has almost gone to the supermarket still carrying, without realizing it.




For me, this is my wristband pincushion. And yes, I have almost left the house wearing it numerous times. I wear it so often that I hardly even notice it's there. I eat meals with it still on, do my hair and makeup, talk on the phone, email, whatever - that thing is part of me! But recently (today to be exact) I had to make a few changes to it's design. For one thing, the chinky plastic wristband it came with was terribly uncomfortable and scratchy. I don't notice it most of the time, but when I take it off there are red marks on my wrist. Another thing was that it kept falling off. I would be walking around the house doing something and POOF! it was gone. With a quick flick of the wrist it would fall off and maybe even fly quite a distance. I have searched for that thing so many times! So today I broke down and bought a strip of Velcro (I have a particular aversion to Velcro). I cut a strip of the scratchy side, ran it through the loop on the bottom of the cushion, cut a smaller strip of the soft side, attached it to the wrong side of the other strip with stitches on either side, and voila! a wristband that will stay on my wrist comfortably!




I wonder what the other seamstresses can't live without? It would be funny to find out. Sometimes I wish I could watch myself trying to sew without my pincushion. EVERY TIME I take out a pin, I reach for it, whether it's there or not. It might take up to a dozen pins for me to remember that it's not there. I have a wonderfully interesting life!




What is it that you can't live without?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't live without blood, water, air, or food. I can't live without writing implements and paper. without these I'd be a virtual reality, a floating head of air without need of clothing, whispering somewhere on the blogosphere. A scroll rolling up. Poof!

Maria Tusken said...

hmmm... I would have to agree with you. And thanks for introducing me to the word "blogosphere". Now I can tell people that one of my occupations is "updating the blogosphere". Sounds much more important than "blogging".